Disc Golf and Jungle Uno


posted by Gretchen on , , , , ,

No comments

So I've been wanting to go to Waco and check out Cameron Park for awhile now. Some good friends mentioned it to me; they had me at "416 acres" and "wooded running trails". Granted, mid-August in Texas is not the best season to visit as it was 101 when we were there, but it was certainly worth checking out.

My compadres and I camped at Lake Whitney in Hillsburo, surprisingly the only tent campers in our area behind the RV spots. Come to think of it, that's likely why we were the only ones there. That, and I choose isolation over crowded lake-side sites every day of the week. Any PC folks remember this camping trip to Lake Whitney?

Ironically, that was one of the coldest nights I've ever camped... ever. We kept the same fire going all weekend and hardly strayed 10 feet from it except to play so many Nerts games I lost count.

Anyway, Amber and I perfected our ziploc bag omelet-making skills on this trip; we also tried out pizza skewers which were absolutely amazing. Sausage, green pepper, pineapple, and pepperoni on a skewer wrapped in cheese and crescent roll, cooked on the campfire and dipped in pizza sauce. Yes, please. Those will be making a comeback. We then drove in to Cameron Park (about 30 minutes) for the day on Sunday. 


Cameron Park is truly one of my new favorite places. We hiked in the morning while it was still "cool", found a few geocaches, and then spent the afternoon running through a Splash Pad with 6-year-olds and playing disc golf in the shade. By "playing", I mean that I launched a piece of plastic about 10 ft each throw. Let's just say I have some practicing to do on that. I did, however, redeem myself in multiple games of Jungle Uno that night as we waited for brats to grill.



The getaway ended back at Lake Whitney with us rescuing a stranded boat that "got lost" and ran out of gas. Pretty epic weekend, I'd say. Can't wait for cooler weather and a chance to go back and actually run some trails. Enjoy the Friday and put a little adventure in your day!

Total Pageviews