Challenged


posted by Gretchen on , , ,

No comments

Life is ever changing, ever evolving, never predictable or stable. Just when I think it is, I am proven wrong. But, I am realizing more and more that in the same way that life around me changes, I am ever-changing, ever-growing, never staying the same. Obvious, really, but I often overlook the connection of those two things.

Outwardly, my tendencies are to be a bit free-spirited and somewhat nomadic (understatement). I've lived in 4 cities, in 6 different houses, with 6 different roommates, and held at least 15 different jobs in the last 6 years. I can be very sporadic and scattered and do things on a whim but inwardly, I tend to weigh everything to the extreme, prolong decisions until the last possible moment, and measure outcomes before I'm willing to jump in or commit.

Sometimes I am held captive by the naive thought that when things are going well and are settled, I don't have to change or do things differently. Who wants to rock the boat when there's even a hint of stability? Not this one! But then a new day comes, and I am forced to push further, called to do more and think bigger; it is then that I am reminded that life doesn't set up camp for long, and so I shouldn't either. I am challenged to consider new possibilities, to adapt, to be changed.

A few ways I am being challenged this week:

Give sacrificially: We are collecting clothes to take to the kids in Ghana next week who will be in our first rescue group and asking folks to donate/buy for that collection. Within an hour of posting the announcement, my inbox was overflowing with people wanting to help; 2/3 of those families/individuals were from out of town (think Washington, Ohio, Florida!) and willing to ship them. Wow. How many times do I discount opportunities because they are "not in my neighborhood" or would take a little extra time and effort to achieve? "Could we buy for more than one child?"... "I just heard about MP and saw your video; can I help?"... "I went to 9 different stores to find just the right outfits." I am challenged by these generous hearts.



Try something new: Along the same lines, we have some incredibly talented ladies who have used their sewing skills to put together hand-stitched quilts for each of our rescued kids. No small task, and I am amazed by their dedication and willingness to put so much love, time, and care into each creation. But check this out – it's not just ladies who joined in on the project! This is a behind-the-scenes look at a small group of guys from our church getting in on the quilting. Absolutely amazing. I am challenged by the ways in which they are willing to try something new and different and attempt (and succeed at) a not-as-manly task in order to help our kids.



Push harder: I've been blessed to run with a group of JH/HS cross country students a few mornings here and there as they are learning about pacing and running as individuals and as a team, learning to push themselves to go faster and further than they thought they were able. But, let me just say, I got owned the other morning on our run! I can go run 10 miles at a slow pace, but a fast 5k? Yep, that was me at the back of the pack. You guys go right on ahead... It cannot possibly be a sign of my getting old; it's much more likely that I just haven't run fast is quite some time. Yeah, yeah we're gonna go with that. These guys motivate and challenge me with their youthful energy.



Take a deep breath: Sometimes I let little (or big) changes affect me too much. Sometimes I make things into a bigger deal than they really are. Sometimes I need a reality check. But I've been hearing a lot lately to just "be present in the moment", "be willing to be flexible", "don't stress about it", "stop rambling and listen", "love each other well", "we'll cross that bridge when we get there", "enjoy the little moments", "pray more", "treat people better than they deserve", and on and on. I want to soak these things in! I am challenged by those who are investing in me.

Trust: Oddly enough, I've been asked several times lately what I think life will look like 5-10 years down the road. Based on how quickly things evolve around here, I honestly can't say. But I can answer with confidence that life will probably look a lot different than it does now. Not because I dislike the now (I actually very much like it), but because there is always a constant ebb and flow and change, and because I hope I'm not the same person 5 years down the road that I am now.

"God has a way of using inadequate people, and sometimes He calls us to reach a little higher or to stretch a little further, even when we feel we can't do any more. We simply trust Him. And then He gives us everything we need to do the "more" that He is asking of us." – Katie Davis

Total Pageviews