This is happening.


posted by Gretchen on ,

3 comments

You know how when you move somewhere new and feel totally out of place and everyone is just being nice to you and inviting you places cause you look like a total newb and they feel sorry for you and know you don't know anyone and life is just awkward? That happened.

But then you know how it is when you wake up one day and things just start clicking and you love your job and love your friends and love your community and you still don't have everything figured out but it's ok and life is just rich? This is happening.

I was cooking dinner last night when the thought hit me. The thought of "I can't imagine not living here. I can't imagine not doing what I'm doing." And it was good.

Here's what's been going on lately:

• I started recycling. Why I haven't done this before, I'm not sure. It always seemed like too much effort which is really my way of naming excuses. But now? Now I peruse the house in search of #1 or #2 plastic bottles. Oh, that one's not empty yet? Well, finish it up. Rinse and remove the lid and place it in that basket there. Saving the planet, one cardboard box at a time.

• I joined a running club. I would like to attribute this to peer pressure, but really I had nearly convinced myself on my own; knowing a few other people already committed to the group pushed me over the edge. Saturday morning long runs commence tomorrow. Which is precisely why I sat on the couch eating chocolate chips last night. Soak in those final moments of undisciplined, heathenistic behavior? Yes, yes I think I will.

• On a similar note, I'm considering going Primal with the diet. Granted, there would be a few "unwilling to give up items" – tortillas and ice cream being at the top of the list. But I'm slowly converting my pantry items. I even bought a cucumber the other day (Mom from 9 hours away... "You did what?!). It's disgusting, but I luckily take more issue with wasting food than eating something that makes me want to puke. Unless we're talking about mushrooms. That's on an entirely different level.

• Mom and Dad are texting now! Totally jaw-dropping. The funny thing is, they are quite accomplished already yet think their skills are lacking. Let me just say, when you text from a courthouse during jury duty, you're totally in the club. Legit.

• I'm making homemade laundry soap this weekend. Stay tuned for how that goes. I'm pretty excited, myself. Little things.

• And finally, I stopped in at Hobby Lobby yesterday afternoon to pick up some stuff for work and was met with 8 aisles top to bottom of smiling Santas, snowmen, red & green throwing up at every turn, wreaths, hanging stockings... and a 40% off sale on Fall decor. I'm sorry, but did I miss the changing leaves, costume contests, black cats, baking pumpkin bread, and turkey dinner? Where have we gone wrong?! And so I initiated a "bring back Fall" chant somewhere between the tinsel and the reindeer display, but after receiving a few odd looks from nearby shopping Grandmas, I snapped a picture and walked out. I can't take it.



This is happening.

3 comments

  1. Alisha

Total Pageviews