#5


posted by Gretchen on , , ,

No comments



This is a picture of the first time I walked into one of the fishing villages in Ghana. This was my second trip over and way more culturally invasive than the first trip. We walked into the village of Awudjakorpe and sat in dining room chairs under a mango tree to continue conversation with the people about an economic partnership. Two months later, we returned to implement our first development project – a cassava farm with sustainable crops and processing equipment. Now a year later, we're leaving to go implement our first aquaculture project at Adovepke, which will result in the release of our first group of children off Lake Volta this fall.

I always wanted to go to Africa, so the initial travel and all that came with it was just a new adventure, not something I expected to return to. I wanted to check "Africa" off my travel list and move on to the next location and site to see. But I never could've guessed that my heart would be so deeply affected by children that I've never even met before, by the Ghanaian people who are so kind and hospitable, by a country who has more to teach me than I could ever teach it. I never could've guessed at the ways in which I would continue to learn about myself and the Kingdom through this work. But God has been so faithful in that.

As I've read over and over Micah 6:6-8 in preparation for this trip, one of the biggest things I want to take with me is remembering that God doesn't need me. He doesn't need me to bring the Kingdom in Ghana, he doesn't need my pitiful offerings, he's not impressed with any accolades or gifts. But He's invited me on this incredible journey, invited me to share in His work, invited me to be a person of justice and mercy. So I just want to show up this week, to make myself available and open to what he has to show me. To simply go, and love, and serve with a joyful heart.



There's still a bit of room in my suitcase if anyone wants to join...

Total Pageviews