Ode to Dad


posted by Gretchen

No comments

I hear it's a special day,
So I'd like to simply say
That my Dad is the best
He far surpasses the rest

He's taught us a lot
About camping and cots
Hunting and reading those maps
How movies provide the best naps

From building a campfire, teepee-style
Even how to wrestle a great big crocodile
To packing a horse and growing garden eats
My Dad's capable of quite amazing feats

And so this day goes, in it's stereotypical way
As we celebrate fathers, which is more than ok
But my Dad's not special just once a year
Or when he shows up with meat from a deer

It's the day-in-day-out, and things we don't see
The sacrifices made for his family's need
The behind-the-scenes footage, and times that are tough
The survival of truth in patches quite rough

That's when my Dad should be celebrated most
He's the glue for us all, I can surely boast
Just what to do, how does he know?
What to say when, the strength that he shows?

See my Dad's a big fan, of the Father upstairs,
He trusts Him and seeks Him, and knows that He cares,
Of that I'm most grateful and proud, it is true
So Happy Father's Day, Dad, and know that I love you!

******

Since I didn't put a Friday post up, I thought I'd include these here. Not quite sure I remember where this is at, but one thing about Dad: he is forever saving his kids and grandkids from getting their feet wet in streams and rivers... at the expense of going in the water himself. Pretty sure this was one of those times!




Total Pageviews