Pigskin Recap


posted by Gretchen

No comments

What can I say? Another Mercy Project event in the books, and God continues to show up. Not that I'm surprised, but affirmation is always a blessing. Two things I'll say about this event, and then I'll get to some pictures.

One, I am quickly learning that our MP supporters are amazing people. They are givers, they are committed, they are passionate about helping the kids in Ghana. They may not all have hundreds of dollars a month to donate, but they are willing to give what they can – a day off work, a weekend away from family, and raising awareness and support. These are the kinds of people that I want to continue to spend time with. They challenge me to dig deep and to give of myself. I was so blessed and encouraged by my teammates, our refs, and many supporters last weekend.

Two, after last year's kickball game, we had a modest fundraising goal in mind for this event. It was totally blown out of the water. The first economic development project (launching this June/July!) was going to cost between $25-30,000, so the flag football game was intended to help fund that project. We ended up with $31,000 (and another $1,000 came in the week after). If that's not a God thing, I don't know what is.

Ok, I lied. Number three, I was out running yesterday and saw an intramural game of flag football going on. I was tempted to ask if I could play. For not really being a football person, I learned a lot about the game and had an absolute blast!

(All these pictures are courtesy of either Jacob Gipson or Larry Field. I enjoyed a weekend without toting my camera around...)

Two of the A&M football players came out to coach us through the first hour. Here's the red team learning a few plays...

...and the blue team.


Coin toss...

Game on!

Our 'celebration moment' after the first TD...

Great catches...

...and lots of field time.


Proof that we played all night long...

...and continued into Saturday morning.

Great support staff and yummy breakfast burritos.

Huddle.


BBQ feast at the end of the game.

World Record Holders for 24 hours of flag football!

Here's a write-up in Maroon Weekly. Pretty cool.

A local station featured some video of us: KBTX

And a little love from ESPN.

Thanks to everyone who supported yet another crazy MP endeavor. I have no doubt there will be more to come!

Total Pageviews