"Oh well."


posted by Gretchen

No comments

I was paying bills this morning, writing the date, 8-30-10, several times and realized that we've been back from Ghana one month today. Sorta hard to believe. Part of me feels like I was just there, while the other part feels like it was so long ago. I wonder if I've used my time wisely since we've been back, if I've been investing in the things that matter, if I've been seeking to help my Ghanaian friends in a way that will make a difference. And I miss Africa like crazy and can't wait to get back there.

I was looking through a blog the other day, one of a complete stranger. There was an entry on some NGO work in South Africa, and I was scrolling through, curious to read about it. I honestly don't remember what all it was about, but I did notice this comment at the bottom that someone had added in response:

"These stories and pictures are so moving. I am amazed how cruel human beings have become... Oh well."

I went from appalled to angry in about .5 seconds. OH WELL? OH WELL? Darn, that's sure rough, but oh well? How could someone say that if they truly were moved? But then again, I could list many times where I've thought the same thing. 'Oh well, I can't do anything about it'. So today, I continue to be reminded that there are precious children across the world who need us to be people who will not merely say "oh well" but who will be moved to action.

This is a Franciscan Benediction that I found and that has become my prayer since returning from Ghana:
May God bless you with discomfort at easy answers, half truths, and superficial relationships so that you may live deep within your heart.
May God bless you with anger at injustice, oppression, and exploitation of people, so that you may work for justice, freedom, and peace.
May God bless you with tears to shed for those who suffer from pain, rejection, starvation, and war, so that you may reach out your hand to comfort them and to turn their pain into joy.
And may God bless you with enough foolishness to believe that you can make a difference in this world, so that you can do what others claim cannot be done.


May God bless you, likewise.

***********************

Check back on Wednesday for some exciting news!

Total Pageviews