Chinese Poodles and Such


posted by Gretchen

No comments

Sometimes I do my best thinking at night. Maybe that's become more apparent lately as hours on the clock have grown to be a relative distinguishment of time. Regardless, here I am sitting at the computer for yet a little while longer today (working on setting a world record), having just polished off two cups of coffee at 11:49. Contrary to popular tendencies, caffeine rarely has the 'keep one awake' affect on me. I think I bypassed that phase in college at some point and have never looked back.

I've begun brainstorming for a new collage painting, two in fact. Not sure how soon those will be fleshed out, but hey, it's a start. If I used my time wisely, I might could see some quick manifestation of sorts, but if the last few weeks are any indication of time management, don't expect that miracle. Also, the extra-bedroom-turned-painting-studio idea may not happen, so I'll have to seek an alternate area to inflict my messiness on. Now seeking inspiration to get that ball rolling.

Watched the Boston Marathon this morning, or rather listened to it as my computer wasn't quite fast enough to keep the video up with the commentator. (In the market for a laptop, know of any good deals? Mac, of course...) Always inspiring to hear the stories and cheer on the favorites. The women's race was unbelievably close, coming down to mere steps at the finish. Unreal what the human body is capable of achieving,

There's this girl in our apartment complex, Chinese I think, who I always see out walking her little trot line bait fuzzball. I passed them the other day as she rambled on and on to the pooch in a language far too complex to comprehend. Got me wondering... Do animals understand different languages? I mean, I know some dogs (of the Shepard variety) that are too smart for their own good and I know they understand their owners to a certain degree. But if someone gave them a command in another language I'm not convinced they would get it. And vice verse? Do animals raised in another country only know the dialect they hear or do they universally comprehend all languages? Deep thoughts, I know. I may have to seek out Cesar on this one.

Back to that time management issue... I think I may institute a schedule of sorts for my weekday hours. I seem to be really good at getting to the end of the day to find that I could not list the accomplishment of anything productive if my life depended on it. So here's what I'm thinking, in no particular order: 1 hour workout, 2-3 hours job searching, 1 hour reading/quiet time/journaling, 1-2 hours working on new creative ventures, 1 hour getting things done that I normally would not do (cleaning out the garage, etc.), and 1 hour online training tutorials on web site building. Am I missing anything? Has potential; I just may give it a shot.

Current reading material? Adam, by Ted Dekker. Crazy Love, by Francis Chan, and a follow-up devotional of sorts to Under the Overpass, by Yankowski. All good so far. The chapter I read today in the Yankowski book listed the typical roles that Jesus played: traveling evangelist, teacher, healer, storyteller, son and brother, mentor, weather controller, physician. Followed by asking, What are our daily roles and would it be an embarrassment if they collided? Impatient supermarket shopper or road-rage driver meets follower of Christ. Hurried multi-tasker meets seeker of quiet time with God. Hmmm...

It has now come to my attention that it's 12:44, and I may be regretting this in the morning when my alarm blares at me to attempt that regimented schedule of sorts. In that case, I better sign off and get in one more chapter...

Total Pageviews