Year Two.


posted by Gretchen on , , , ,

No comments

It's a wrap. Year Two of the BCS Marathon has been put to rest, at least as much as it will be. When I moved here last year, I felt like there were distinct sections of the year, divided by fundraising events, holidays, and other annual highlights. But now, they all bleed together. So much so, that we started planning and dreaming for December 8, 2013 within days of wrapping up the 2012 race weekend. And so it goes!

Race weekend was a huge success. 3500+ runners registered, 600+ volunteers, 2500+ gallons of Gatorade, and $100,000+ raised = big win for Mercy Project on many levels. The awareness that is spread as we meet new supporters and the connections that have been built through this event are impossible to count. We are blessed. It doesn't come without sacrifice though – hours and hours of logistics, relationship building with sponsors and vendors, constant communication and "customer service" with runners, and more details than even I can handle. (Shocking, I know.) Our Race Committee did a fabulous job taking on various tasks of planning, and of course, it helps to have a fearless leader with an attitude of "the sky's the limit". Due to the growth and popularity from Year One, we added a Kid's Marathon, Health & Fitness Expo, and Pasta Dinner on Saturday before the race. They were a huge hit!

The Expo was my big project, along with another friend Angie whom I could not have managed without. I also worked on all the runner swag: medals, awards, shirts, etc. Crazy that we started planning and setting everything in motion back in April/May. Race week was intense. Shirts, signage, banners, packet stuffing, bib sorting, balloons, and on and on it went. The Hilton became my home for the few days leading up to race weekend.







Our Expo space was 11,000 square feet of sponsors and running-focused vendors as well as an area for packet and shirt pick-up. It was packed all day long as over 4000 runners, friend, and family members crowded the floor. Honestly, it could not have gone smoother for the first year (though of course I already have a million new ideas for next year).







Come Sunday, it was "play time" for me. I thankfully only took on the Half this year, which has the be the wisest decision I've made in quite some time. Logging that in my memory for next year. After 17 hours on my feet the day before, I was happy to truck through only 13.1 instead of the full 26.2. We had warm temps – "less than ideal" – but with iced towels, cooling zones, and lots of fluid along the way it was quite an enjoyable morning. I was so proud to see everything come together, to see all the efforts that my fellow race workers, volunteers, and running friends invested to make the day a success. Got to see so many familiar faces cheering along the Half route that made each turn something new to look forward to. And of course, the best part was rounding the last corner and seeing 24 sweet, smiling Ghanaian faces lining the way to the finish line. Every hour, worth it for them.





Total Pageviews