Travel Log 1


posted by Gretchen on , , , ,

No comments



Commence the journal snippets, in no certain order. If words bore you, feel free to skip a few posts.


Things have started out well: I got busted for trying to carry on peanut butter before we even left the College Station airport. (Apparently it's considered a liquid.) We arrived sans two bags which housed video equipment, a laptop, snacks, candy, and paint for a little art project. But don't worry, we submitted a form to the Accra airport officials detailing a lost Nike athletic bag and a lost equipment case that looks "like a firearm case but doesn't really have firearms in it". I feel as if this is the start to a very good adventure.


********


I am currently sitting in a little room in Salaga. I share this room with 200+ gnats and at least one lizard. I think I would not have dealt well with the 10 Plagues. But then, I am in Africa; I am not supposed to be comfortable nor do I really want to be. The Salaga Baths are the town's claim to fame, which was a stop in the old slave route before masters sent their slaves down to the Elmina Castle on the southern coast. Here the slaves were held before exiting through the infamous "Door of No Return" to be transported and resold in other colonies. Ironic, much? But I digress...


********

Drove to Makango and met with the Chief. It was the real deal, a take-your-shoes-off and greet-with-a-bow situation. Later we drove "10 minutes" to Awou., which turned into a 30 minute bush hike. We finally reached the school and everything started looking familiar. And, oh, the sweet smiling faces that greeted us! Strangers have become friends.



********

We passed a boat today that held two boys without clothes. As if being made to work all day isn't enough, their dignity has been stolen as well.

********

This morning we took a tro-tro (Ghanaian public transport) driven by a guy named Fish. Chris described the vehicle as "not fit to pass inspection in Mexico". Fish has to pick the sliding door up and move it over to let us in and out. The top is completely rusted out, but no worries, "new" roll bars have been welded in... at least twice. When in Ghana...

********

Best dinner yet. Tonight we ate outside: noodles, tilapia, red sauce, and pineapple. I also drank 2 liters of water. We watched some of Brandon's video, which is just amazing. I looked through some of my lake shots from the day as well and discovered a bit of a tension: I get excited to find a few good ones, yet at the same time, wish I didn't have to take them at all. (More on that in the next post.)



********

Today's theme has been one of God moving and shaking. I don't feel a lot of emotion at this point in the trip, but big things are happening for MP and for God's Kingdom on earth. Brandon made a comment earlier (which I have actually heard in other discussions as of late) that has really stuck with me. He mentioned an issue with the screen door on his house back in CS but then followed it with "that's a First World problem", as in, no biggie compared to what we see here in front of us. I need to keep that perspective, to recognize that a lot of my seemingly big issues are so very insignificant.

********

"If only I had a spreadsheet right now!" This exclamation has been made several times this week. While I am merely wishing for a bowl of chocolate ice cream, Josh and Brandon crave Excel. It's great to have economically minded people as we brainstorm and calculate quantities of fish, market values, and material costs for our next project of aquaculture. I love seeing these guys using their talents and passions for the Kingdom. It's refreshing and encouraging.



Oh, and yes, we did get the Nike and "firearm" bags back!

Total Pageviews