10 Things Art


posted by Gretchen on ,

1 comment



1. Easter smiles and egg dying (egg dying is an art, right?)

       




2. 100 Things Photography List
. My personal favs: 


*Always shoot in RAW. Always.
*Print out your photos big. They will make you happy.
*Candid>Posed.
*The best photographs tell stories that beg the viewer for more.

I've been thinking about how I need to spend some time expanding my learning on all things photog – i.e. lighting, exposure, etc. This list got me really excited about that.

3. For the first time, I find myself on the other side of the design process: I have become "the client". This has been a good thing for me, a good area of growth and learning. But I also find it challenging to give feedback without design directing. Note to self: There's a very good reason why you're not the designer on this project. And repeat. Here's hoping I can remember that and not be categorized as "one of those" clients.

4. On the coattails of #3, I love getting to know other brilliant designers. It makes me want to push my own work further and better my skills. It encourages my creativity and gets me excited about being artistic. Sometimes that's hard to come by when I'm not immersed in the creative world on a day-to-day basis.

5. On the coattails of #4, I have come to the conclusion that it's ok to not be designing/painting/creating every single day. That was one of my greatest fears in leaving Dallas, but I have realized that it simply makes me want to do a better job on the projects I do undertake. It's incredibly affirming.

6. Gearing up for our next fundraising event – our 2nd Annual Art Auction in mid-June. I am rounding up artists and planning a few of my own pieces/photographs for the event. As hectic (insert: overwhelming) as this event was for me last year – as I planned in addition to a full-time job – I am stoked about having more time to devote to the event this year. Know any artists? Send 'em my way!

7. I would like to come up with something like this. My track record for keeping plants alive is pretty sketchy, but who's to say I shouldn't keep trying? Plus these are just awesome; expensive, but awesome. I'm thinking more along the lines of a Goodwill or garage sale container in lieu of these $150+ pieces of work. One of these days that will be a weekend project. Because I don't currently have enough weekend projects.

8. I stumbled across illustrator Brian Hubble the other day. Wow. Love his work. This style is one idea I have for an auction piece, though I doubt it would turn out anywhere near the same. I'd like to know how many layers he's got on this one:



9. The latest project of mine: a paper mobile made out of Degas images. Nothing fancy, but I really like his work and amazing figure studies. Brilliant leader in the Impressionist era, though he preferred to be categorized as a realist. He also worked in photography and sculpture. Just a little art history for ya.



10. Not art related, but because I can't end on #9, I've been reading this book called 7. It's humorous and convicting and really good. "We cannot carry the gospel to the poor and lonely while emulating the practices of the rich and powerful."

 

1 comment

Total Pageviews