Starting with Story


posted by Gretchen on , ,

2 comments




We've been back from Ghana for 3 weeks now, this being my 4th trip over. So much has happened just in those 3 weeks that I think instead of coming up with new thoughts at this point, I'm better off just sharing some snippets of the trip from my journal pages over the course of the week in-country.

Exhibit A: The below, super random-and-not-like-me... poem? I don't know what it is. I read some similar lines the day we got back and liked the expressive format. I needed an outlet for saying things that I just couldn't express otherwise, so I matched the number of words and lines and just changed them out to what I wanted to say. It seems a little over the top now, but... here goes.


risky dreams. great passion. deep hunger.
dusty roads. head-carried. simple living.
smiling faces. O'bruni cheers. many stares.
open markets. brown faces. beautiful spirits.
fried rice. whole fish. spicy red.
open water. countless boats. cloudy sky.
small child. wary glances. empty eyes.
forgotten childhood. hands working. paddling away.
waving grass. thatched huts. curious questions.
mango trees. rich conversation. better way.
hard work. community effort. strangers to friends.
lives changed. childhood return. hopeful eyes.

lost in a story.
never thought to be here.
floating through the bush, unafraid;
confidence, hope, and life pour in.
questions and uncertainties sent up.
but i venture the road and come alive.

my story looks too different.
the road is rocky and uncertain.
choices to conform. choices to lean in.
i choose the later; it leads to Him.

unsure, I wake up, and inquire.
a calming feeling crawls over me; i relax.
i remember what was said:
"least of these. light in darkness.
freedom proclaimed. Kingdom on earth."
my responsibility.

believe in the power of story.
weave threads that only you can intertwine.
write on the pages; color the canvas.
join the journey. change the world.

*************

I think one of the most powerful things we can do as Jesus-followers is to tell our story and learn the stories of each other. A lot of times it's messy and unknown and ordinary and just plain hard. But there are also moments of beauty and joy and redemption. All worth the telling.


2 comments

Total Pageviews