Monotony


posted by Gretchen

No comments

I had written down step-by-step directions but still found myself wandering among the one-way streets and road signs. Finally, I pulled up to an open print warehouse, dimly lit and quiet. I walked up the steps and stuck my head into the open space, hoping I had indeed found the right address. Two other people were there, the volunteer organizers. They greeted me, I sighed a smile of relief, and we set to work. Laid out on the table were stacks of plastic bags, flyers, and coupons; the assembly line began. 2500 race packets needed to be stuffed for the Help the Homeless Walkathon & 5K, taking place here in Dallas a week from Saturday. I volunteered to help out from 10am-1pm. Simple, right?

The first hour went by fairly quickly. Then it began to rain. Warehouses get cold and damp when it rains. And they leak and are moldy. And my stomach started growling. By noon, I was checking my watch every 5 minutes. The monotony of doing the same task over and over and over for hours was about to flat drive me insane. Bag, 5 different flyers, a newspaper, a bag of peanuts, into a box. Repeat, repeat, repeat. But sometime in that last hour, I started thinking about the boys on Lake Volta. And how they do the same thing day after day, rain or shine. No roof over their heads and likely without food in their bellies. And I thought about the monotony they must feel with no hope of a 1pm finish time. And suddenly, stuffing race bags seemed like a really good task to have.

I mentioned the other day how the relay really helped me regain some focus that's slipped away in the last few weeks. I'm grateful for times like this morning that continue to remind me just how good I have it. Moments that put me in my place as a selfish person and remind me of things of far greater importance. I'm anxious for the day when Ghanaian boys and girls will no longer feel the monotony of never-ending work days. Instead, they will grin from ear to ear as they walk to their school classroom to learn for the day; they will know the joy of being a child again.

Total Pageviews