Church Stuff, Part 2


posted by Gretchen

No comments

Going on three months, I’ve been worshipping with the Heritage Church of Christ out in Rowlett. Heritage originated as a church plant in 1995 and has since gone through many transitions. But I believe that the heart of the church and the hearts of the people who have persevered are a rare find among churches today. Though not perfect in any entity (and I would hope not or I might not be included!) there is a spirit of welcome, of togetherness, of seeking truth among this small group of Christians. And the potential for growth and outreach in the community? Absolutely incredible.

(Oh there’s some risk, sure. By risk, I mean that it might entail me getting outside my comfort zone. It might mean going places and doing things that seem a bit ‘radical’. I have no doubt there will be encounters with people who are a little bit different than myself. But, I assure you, the danger of remaining complacent is a far greater risk.)

And so I’m excited about journeying through this part of life right now with some new friends (though there is no intent or desire to abandon my PC buds). Since the crew is relatively small right now (30-40ish), one of the things we’ve been able to do each week to get to know one another is to ask/answer some of the following questions:

What was your church experience (if any) as a child?
What are your fondest/more forgettable memories of church?
When did your faith become real?
What is the most difficult part of being a Christ follower?
What are your dreams for church, what do you want church to be about?
What does “authentic community” mean?

Actually answering these questions on paper and sharing them with a group of people has been a neat experience for me. It’s made me really think through and be grateful for where I’ve come from, see where I’m at right now, and dream about where I’d like to be headed.

So, in a (rather large) nutshell, that’s where I’m at, for those who have been wondering. Would love to have anyone out to Heritage if you live close by or are visiting the area. I hear the preaching is pretty decent…

Total Pageviews