Bring on the Rain


posted by Gretchen

No comments

I love rain. I love how the clouds build and build, sometimes seemingly out of nowhere, thunder shakes the ground, and lightning knocks the power out.(Heaven forbid we have to go without electricity for awhile in our "get-it-done yesterday" pace of living.) It's funny the perspective people have on rain in various places. To most city residents rain is merely an inconvenience and cause for a longer commute to and from work. Back home, it's prayed for daily, for the crops and the ground and it's dust-settling capabilities. In other places around the world, it's unheard of entirely. Or unwanted due to extreme water overdoses. But me, I love the rain.

Rain is clean. Rain smells fantastic. Rain is soothing. Rain washes my car. Rain has a way of slowing things down. Or maybe just slowing me down. Rain sounds really cool on a tin roof. Rain is renewing. Rain is one of those few things in life that reaches every one of your senses. Rain provides the best curl-up-with-a-book in the hammock weather. Rain is healing. Rain has a way of washing all the crap away in life, even if just for a short time.

I can only think of a few times in life when rain has come at a completely undesirable time. Once was coming down a mountain in the Pecos on a half-crazed skittish horse, holding on for dear life. I'm sure the bright yellow rain slicker probably didn't help matters. Then there was the lightning/rain storm that hit as we ran off the top of Wheeler Peak. Yes, RAN, because Dad was wearing an aluminum-framed backpack. That was a bit scary. There was also the summer at COTH that it rained every Thursday night, though I'm still convinced that was a sign from above! And I'll allow for a time or two that I can't think of off the top of my head.

On Tuesday I got to run in the rain. And it was wonderful. The temperature cooled off to about 80-85 degrees. Most other people out and about fled to the nearest indoor location. And I was left with a few rare peaceful moments in the downpour.

Rain reminds me that God is in control. He can, and will, send water from the sky whenever and wherever he so chooses. Maybe it's when we want it to come, maybe not, but He alone forms the clouds, sounds the thunder, and sends the lightning. Pretty sure I don't know anyone else that can do that.

So thank you, God, for the rain.

Total Pageviews