Welcome to Anini Lodge


posted by Gretchen

No comments

I seem to still be operating on Ghanaian time this week. "I'll post trip pictures in a day or two" turned into a good week. Anyway, here we go. In no certain order, some top highlights of our excursion:

Group dynamics: One of the neatest things about traveling with a small group internationally is that you get to know each other really well in a short time period. That is no doubt multiplied when you cram 14 people plus all their luggage in a 15 passenger van for 8 hours. We shared a whole lot of chicken and rice as well as hysterical moments, like Danielle "cleaning" her feet in the toilet one night. But for me, it was really neat to watch most of our team members who had never been to Africa before as they learned about the culture and work on the lake. It was fun to see their excitement over the little things and to see Ghana through fresh eyes. I loved learning about the unique talents of each person and seeing those expressed throughout the week.






Simplicity: Though counter-cultural to the typical American, I love the simplicity with which the Ghanaian people live life. I feel as if that's been pressed upon my heart in the last several years, to attempt to live as simply as possible. After stepping foot on African soil, it's obvious that even a huge attempt at simplicity falls quite short! But I love the slower pace of life, taking "spit" showers, washing clothes in the sink, and eating rice every single day. Granted I was glad to get home to my washing machine and shower, but there's something very compelling and natural about doing what is needed to function and live without all the extra garbage we throw in the mix.

Fishing: I previously mentioned the significance that July 4th took on during our trip and posted some pictures from our time on the lake. But we also got to experience (or document, in my case) another part of village life one afternoon. Most of our crew was sitting under the mango tree with the kids when Hope, one of the Ghanaian teachers, ran up, pointed at me, and unleashed a stream of combined English and Twi, out of which I only understood "come quick, snap, snap". I followed him out to the boats and pieced together that Chris went out in a canoe to help set a fishing net, Jeff and Jeremy were waiting to help pull it in, and I was needed to "snap, snap" with my camera. 45 minutes these guys worked to pull the net in, and it was no small task. The end result was a tub of fish that hardly seemed worth the effort to me, but the men were so proud of their catch and proud to share their work with the American men. It certainly gave us deeper insight into the hard labor of the trafficked children.






Cruising Yeji: We stayed at the Anini Lodge in Yeji for most of the week, a "home base" of sorts. Yeji comes alive at night, especially on market days. The streets are packed with people, vehicles, children, vendors, carts, bicycles, and goats. Most nights after dinner our group would head out and walk the "main street" down to the lake and back. Enjoyed trying beef (maybe!) kabobs, watermelon, and the ever favorite Fan-Ice (Ghana's version of ice cream). These evenings reminded me again about the community/family dynamic that is so present in Ghana.


Total Pageviews