Moo-Town Recap 2: Highlights


posted by Gretchen

No comments

Craziest siteing of the day: A father running with a double jogging stroller with his two children inside. He stopped to pull over to the side of the road to change out the movie they were watching on a portable DVD player. So great.

Thoughtful moment of the race: We ran down the Trinity River Trail for part of the course and passed several homeless people sleeping on benches and pushing their shopping carts around. And I couldn't help but think, wow, how blessed are we, we who have strong healthy bodies to run, food to give us the energy we need to endeavor such a challenge, and a place to go afterwards to clean up and get warm. How very blessed.

Funny story of the race: The second half of the course was desolate to say the least. No more spectators, no policemen blocking traffic, uphill and right into that 20-30 mph wind from the north. It was... fun. So I'm trudging up this hill in a residential area in one of those 'what was I thinking' moments and this car stops at an intersection to let me pass. An old lady leans out the window and yells at me, "What are you running for?" Had I any energy to answer her, I would've responded, "I don't know!" Like I was gonna stop and chat...

Best cheering squad of the day: That's our family! Dad represented and showed up in at least 5-6 different spots throughout the race to keep us stocked up on gummy bears and water, along with passing on encouragement from Abilene, where Mom, Emily and Wyatt called in to check on us. That's just awesome.

Best moment of the day: Rounding the last block to finally see the finish line and seeing DonMark on the side yelling for me with his medal around his neck. One of the coolest things ever. He ran such an awesome race, first time out of the blocks. And I'm sure he wasn't thinking happy thoughts about his sister who 'got him into this' the entire way, but I know I was so proud to have him running with me on Saturday. I didn't get to cheer him across the finish, but if I had, I would've yelled something like, "Woo-hoo! Thats my brother!"

Total Pageviews