Honduras Part 3: Some Thoughts


posted by Gretchen

No comments

Before leaving for this trip, I finished reading Irresistible Revolution by Shane Claiborne. (A must read.) Much of what Shane has to say in his book coincides with thoughts I have after seeing so much poverty in Honduras. Below are two quotes from the book that really hit home to me. What are we doing to love our neighbors?

"Two guys were talking to each other, and one of them says he would like to ask God why he allows poverty, war, and suffering to exist in the world. And his friend says, 'Well, why don't you ask?' The fellow shakes his head and says he is scared. When asked why, he mutters, 'I'm scared God will ask me the same question, for when I think about it, I can hear God whispering to me, 'You tell me why we allow these things to exist. You are my body, my hands, my feet.'"

"God did not mess up and make too many people and not enough 'stuff'. Poverty was created not by God but by you and me, because we have not learned to love our neighbors as ourselves."





Total Pageviews