Their World


posted by Gretchen on , ,

1 comment

I think I've mentioned this idea of "loving people well" on here before. It's a constant work in my heart to really try and meet people where they're at and not where I want them to be or where I think they should be.

I frequent Donald Miller's blog where several folks are now guest posting, and this popped up yesterday: A Tip on Learning How to Love – Dive Into Their World. Instant intrigue and glad I took the time to check it out.

"It’s so easy to love people who like all the same things you do—who never listen to music that makes you cringe, or who believe all the same things you believe. But love sometimes asks you to lay down your preferences, and dive into someone else’s world for a little while... Love asks what's best for the person you love, not what's best or most convenient to you."

A very simple concept, this whole "get outside your comfort zone for someone else idea". I'm just not always good at that. But then I witness people doing that for me, going way out of their way for me, and it makes me want to learn to love others equally well.


It's... let's go where you want to eat today even if it's not my first choice.
It's... my house is your house, towels are laid out, and here's a hot cup of coffee.
It's... I'll change my schedule and cancel my plans to meet your needs.
It's... how are you doing, really, even when I don't want to listen.
It's... my schedule will wait, because you're more important.
It's... we don't always agree, but let's still be the best of friends.
It's... that costs me time and energy, but I'll do it because I know it means much to you.

Little things, little moments making big, big differences.

Happy weekend!

1 comment

Total Pageviews