High School Week


posted by Gretchen

No comments

High school week is now complete, 67 campers have come and gone. The week went by relatively smoothly, as far as high school weeks have gone in the past. I was blessed in seeing campers that I've gotten to watch change and grow over the past three summers, some even longer as with the Impact kids. Having older kids can be a much greater challenge as they are more hardened to their world than the younger ones, everything is bigger-including the kids themselves!, and everything is much more dramatic; however, more blessings come from deeper conversations than with the younger kids, and I was certainly able to be apart of that this week. Those of us who have been out here for several summers were reminded of our purpose and great task in this place as Alexis Nicole Biggers stepped out of the van. Two summers ago Alexis was one crazy girl, constantly in trouble, frequently yelling some interesting choice words, not wanting to do anything that was asked of her. Last summer I had Alexis in my cabin and she was much improved, though certainly still had her moments and went on contract a time or two. This summer Alexis got off her van and proceeded to hug counselors that she knew and began to tell me about the new girls in her foster home and how her year had gone. I believe Alexis had a great week this summer, and it's been amazing to see her growth and maturity over the years. There are many stories like that that I wish I could share. Getting to see Zeke from Impact, whom I've known since he was around 8 years old...Autumn crying on Saturday morning, knowing what a safe place this is...Zephyr's letter of finding a place to belong...some unexpected events in the middle of the night early, early Saturday morning. I wish there was time to recount it all. But the moment that touched me most this week came from one of my girls, 16 year-old Heather. She was from the same home as Alexis, and we had many great conversations throughout the week. But Thursday night I walked into the cabin and she said, "Gretchen, will you adopt me? You're old enough to do that, right? Cause I need someone who will love me all the time, every day." Words can't really respond to that, but my heart sure did.

A few more pictures:

Total Pageviews